Sunday 4 January 2015

1/6th Scale Figures: British WW1 Infantry

It's been a while since I've posted here, so there's going to be a slew of new posts on here in the next few weeks.

First up, some Sixth Scale figures from Dragon in Dreams that I've picked up and my plan for them in the next few months.

I've got four figures for this project that I'm putting together, here they are in a group shot with their Vickers HMG. I've gone for a 1916 set up for their equipment.

There's a few changes that I want to make to the figure manning the gun before I continue, but the other three are ready to go. The gun and the water canister themselves are all metal pieces and are wonderfully detailed although getting the tripod to stay where you've put it is a bit of a pain. Next up are the two finished infantrymen, here in full battle order.

 All of the uniform and equipment for these figures is superbly made, with the rifle of the figure on the left having actual wooden parts and all parts that should be made of metal being made of metal. The man on the right has a rifle from a different figure I had lying about, hence the incorrectly coloured sling. Both of the rifles feature fixable bayonets, the mans on the left having a metal blade.

Being British the webbing is a puzzle to put together to begin with and is reliant on friction to keep it in place. I've had bad experiences with WW2 British webbing from other manufacturers falling to bits if you cough near it, but this stuff fits together really well and stays where you put it, although fastening the belt up is a bit of a pain to do.

Both figures have an undershirt to go under their tunics, you can see a bit of it coming out of the cuffs and is a really nice addition. The boots are a fake leather material with lace up fronts rather than a single piece design and the puttees are as the originals, a single long piece of material that wraps it's way up the leg, again relying on friction to keep it in place. Wrapping them takes a bit of practice but looks fantastic when done properly.

The Officer:


 I'm not going to say much regarding the quality of the uniform here because it's all superb. He's wearing a late war/ inter war tunic with the insignia on the epaulets, personally I'd prefer the earlier war tunic, but for now this will have to do. Although you can't really see it I've given him a binocular case, taken from a WW2 US Airborne figure and the tin mug comes from an old WW2 British figure from Dragon. This is probably my favorite figure of the one's I own, and the stubble on the head sculpt is actual fuzz rather than being painted on.






So what's next for these guys? Currently I'm in the planning phase for building a machine gun pit and section of trench diorama for them to live in. I'm starting off small, about 2 foot by 2 foot at the moment and primarily made of foam. I've taken the trench and pit dimensions from a 1915 Engineer handbook for accuracy, so watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment